Click here to Login
Subscribe for Newsletter GoToChef for Brands

Gelling Agent E508

Also Known As : Potassium chloride, E508, Dipotassium dichloride Potassium monochloride Potassium muriate Tripotassium trichloride ,Potassium salt of hydrochloric acid, Potassium hydrochloride, Sylvin, Sylvite, Kalium chloratum, Sylvine.


Taste Profile

It is odorless and has a mild salty flavor.

Usage Tips

  1. Gelling Agent E508 is often used as a salt replacer as its free from sodium.
  2. It is found in many types of bulk products as it prevents clumping during long-term storage.
  3. It is also used as a stabiliser in the production of dry dairy products and condensed milk.

Common names and forms

  1. Firming Agent (E-508)
  2. Gelling Agent (INS 508)
  3. Gelling Agent 508
  4. Potassium Chloride (E508)
  5. Thickener (508)
  6. Thickener 508


Gelling Agent E508 is a food additive which is composed of a salt containing potassium and chlorine. It occurs in nature in the form of minerals - sylvine and carnalite. This substance is obtained chemically - by the interaction of potassium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid.It is white or colorless and has a crystal appearance.It is mixed with ordinary table salt (sodium chloride) in order to make low sodium salt.

Selection Guide

Check for the use-by date on the packaging while purchasing.


Too much consumption of Gelling Agent E508 is toxic and harmful for health.Some people may develop upper gastro intestinal tract bleeding on consumption of Gelling Agent E508.

- Disclaimer
"Information here is provided for discussion and educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice or product or ingredient review/rating. The information may not apply to you and before you use or take any action, you should contact the manufacturer, seller, medical, dietary, fitness or other professional. If you utilize any information provided here, you do so at your own risk and you waive any right against Culinary Communications Private Limited, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or representatives.”