Click here to Login
Subscribe for Newsletter GoToChef for Brands

Permitted Emulsifier & Stabilizer (INS 471)

Also Known As : E 471, Glyceryl monostearate, GMS, Glyceryl monopalmitate, Glyceryl monooleate, Monostearin, Monopalmitin, Monoolein

Usage Tips

  1. Permitted Emulsifier & Stabilizer (INS 471) is widely used as an anti-staling agent in baked goods, such as bread, cakes, muffins and pies.
  2. It can also be found in potato chips, dessert toppings, custard powder, margarine spreads, and ice cream.
  3. It helps ice cream and whipped cream to have a smooth texture.

Common names and forms

  1. (E471)
  2. Emulsifier (471)
  3. Emulsifier (E 471)
  4. Emulsifier (INS 471)
  5. Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids (E471)
  6. Emulsifier and Stabilizer (471)
  7. Emulsifiers (471)
  8. Emulsifiers (INS 471)
  9. Emulsifiers and Stabilizers(INS 471)
  10. Emulsifying & stabilizing Agent (E-471)
  11. Emulsifying & Stabilizing Agents (INS 471)
  12. Emulsifying Agent E471
  13. Emulsifying and Stabilizing Agent (471)
  14. Mono - di glyceride (E471) (Palm)
  15. Mono & Diglycerides of Vegetable Origin (E471)
  16. Permitted Emulsifier (INS 471)
  17. Permitted Emulsifiers (E 471)
  18. Permitted Emulsifiers 471
  19. Permitted Flavours & Emulsifiers (E 471)
  20. Permitted Stabilizing Agent (INS 471)
  21. Stabilizer (471)
  22. Stabilizer (INS 471)
  23. Stabilizers (E471)
  24. Stabilizing Agent (INS 471)
  25. Thickener INS 471


Permitted Emulsifier & Stabilizer (INS 471) is a food additive that include mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids which is used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking and preservative agent in food products. It is manufactured from glycerin and fatty acids and usually obtained from plant oils like coconut oil, soyabean oil, palm oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, corn oil, olive oil or animal fats like tallow(beef fat) or lard(pig fat). It may vary from pale yellow-brown oily liquids to white, hard waxy solids. Permitted Emulsifier & Stabilizer (INS 471) may be available as flaked, powdered or in small beads.


Permitted Emulsifier & Stabilizer (INS 471) can sometimes be obtained from animal sources that are not suitable for vegetarians, vegans, or for those who are following a halal diet. It is vital to check the food packaging. A vegetarian product will have a special stamp indicating it is so.(1)

- Disclaimer
"Information here is provided for discussion and educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice or product or ingredient review/rating. The information may not apply to you and before you use or take any action, you should contact the manufacturer, seller, medical, dietary, fitness or other professional. If you utilize any information provided here, you do so at your own risk and you waive any right against Culinary Communications Private Limited, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or representatives.”