Preservative (INS 200) also known as Sorbic acid, is a food preservative which protects many food varieties from yeast and mold spoilage. It is an organic compound, with strong antimicrobial properties. It was first isolated from the unripe berries of the rowan tree also known as Sorbus aucuparia, hence its name. They are colourless needles or white free-flowing powder and are the most commonly used food preservative in the world, making the global food chain possible. It’s usually applied to food by either spraying or dipping the food with a solution of sorbic acid and water.
Some people may be allergic to sorbic acid, however reactions are mild and include mild skin itching. Severe reactions to Preservative (INS 200) can occur when handling it in its pure, undiluted form and may result in rashes, paleness, nausea, vomiting. and going into shock.(1)
"Information here is provided for discussion and educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice or product or ingredient review/rating. The information may not apply to you and before you use or take any action, you should contact the manufacturer, seller, medical, dietary, fitness or other professional. If you utilize any information provided here, you do so at your own risk and you waive any right against Culinary Communications Private Limited, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or representatives.”